Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Earliest version of "we're gonna take a swing at Macbeth"  (Read 11632 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Earliest version of "we're gonna take a swing at Macbeth"
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »
I forgot just how much he spoke at Glasgow.  I suppose he had another band member to introduce Phil Cunningham so some encourangement to talk there then, but I just got the impression that MK spoke to the Glasgow crowd more that usual.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 07:31:36 AM »
At the first night in London he spoke definitely too much. After Coyote, when he told us the story about his back and everybody thought now come on, he hesitated and then "swinged at Macbeth". And then he said, as you of course all can hear on the recording, "that's all it is it's an attempt..."
I also remember "blokes are bad at dates" and I must admit I skip these parts in the meantime because it is too long and spoils the run of the set.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
I also remember "blokes are bad at dates" and I must admit I skip these parts in the meantime because it is too long and spoils the run of the set.

LE

Oh yes, he did the "blokes are bad at dates" line at Bournemouth and a female voice just behind me shouted "but you're still gorgeous, Mark!" to which MK replied "Thank you sir!".   That's another newish thing creeping in - calling ladies "sir" and blokes, "madam"!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 12:54:06 PM »
At the first night in London he spoke definitely too much. After Coyote, when he told us the story about his back and everybody thought now come on, he hesitated and then "swinged at Macbeth". And then he said, as you of course all can hear on the recording, "that's all it is it's an attempt..."

LE
I know what you mean when it spoils the run of the set but when he says something different it always gives me a smile because I then know I've been at a slightly different show.

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
I usually attend MK concerts together with people that doesn't read forums, listen to bootlegs etc. And even if these people hear many of the same jokes or anecdotes tour after tour, they don't remember that he said almost the same thing two years ago. What they notice is the new jokes, the variations etc.

What we/you are talking about here is very normal, I think. Even Bruce Springsteen (whom I've been to more concerts with than MK) repeats himself show after show, tour after tour, (and has been critisized for it by his music friends, Southside Johnny, for instance), though he has loosend up a bit lately.

And the band, I'm a 100 % sure they don't bother at all! It's all a part of the show. When you're an actor, you do the same show after show, and so do the fellow actors. If you play classical music you do the same show after show. And it's more or less the same when it comes to rock music. When I'm doing speeches and courses and such together with other people, it doesn't bother me at all that the other ones make the same openings or tell the same jokes every time. It's all a part of the "show". (I say different things every time, and the drawback is that my speaches vary more in quality than many other's, but my best are quite good ;D.)

So I know what you are saying, and it's an interesting discussion, but I don't think it's that negative.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
I usually attend MK concerts together with people that doesn't read forums, listen to bootlegs etc. And even if these people hear many of the same jokes or anecdotes tour after tour, they don't remember that he said almost the same thing two years ago. What they notice is the new jokes, the variations etc.

What we/you are talking about here is very normal, I think. Even Bruce Springsteen (whom I've been to more concerts with than MK) repeats himself show after show, tour after tour, (and has been critisized for it by his music friends, Southside Johnny, for instance), though he has loosend up a bit lately.

And the band, I'm a 100 % sure they don't bother at all! It's all a part of the show. When you're an actor, you do the same show after show, and so do the fellow actors. If you play classical music you do the same show after show. And it's more or less the same when it comes to rock music. When I'm doing speeches and courses and such together with other people, it doesn't bother me at all that the other ones make the same openings or tell the same jokes every time. It's all a part of the "show". (I say different things every time, and the drawback is that my speaches vary more in quality than many other's, but my best are quite good ;D.)

racaunteursSo I know what you are saying, and it's an interesting discussion, but I don't think it's that negative.
And I know that even raconteurs of the highest calibre like Phil and Aly come away with the same stories night in, night out while on tour too but some stuff was said in Glasgow that made it very much a worthwhile download IMO.  I suppose MK was in a good mood that night! ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 08:55:24 PM »
They play the same music pretty much note for note every night so I don't see why they would be bothered by MK's tired patter.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
Don't agree with that dusty, listen to all these simfy shows, little differences, all the time. The hooks (that is what i call them)they are the same every night, but those are the bands' waypoints
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
Someone mentioned Springsteen. Well, he plays like 100 songs every tour  ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »
Don't agree with that dusty, listen to all these simfy shows, little differences, all the time. The hooks (that is what i call them)they are the same every night, but those are the bands' waypoints

Not exactly huge differences though are they? He's hiring some of the best musicians in the world to play, say, 95% exactly the same, night after night.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 06:01:26 AM »
I was at Nathalie Merchant Concert 2 months ago.  She spent half the time of the show describing the story behind each song. She even had a giant projector detailing the persons who influenced her song writing.  It took her about 5 minutes between each song.  At one point, one person in the audience yelled out to her "JUST SING !"  She was quite offended by it.  But that didn't stop her from continuing her performing style.  I was quite bored after about 1 hour.  She has an incredible voice if she would just sing. She also interacted too excessively with the crowds.  She gave the mic to the fans to sing with her and stuff like that.

I then thought about MK gig.  BTW, it was at the same venue.  Santa Rosa.  I used to wish MK would chit-chat more, but I don't wish so any more.  For us die hard fans, we wouldn't mind hearing MK banters the same old anecdotes over and over with or without variations, but for non hard core fans, it could really spoil the concert set. 

In my own observations, I think MK is a master in balancing his acts on stage.  The order of the setlist is well constructed from the opening song to the encore and to the end. He talks just enough to keep the show captivating.   I also like the fact MK distances himself from the crowds.  He doesn't feel the need to be acknowledged by his fans.  All of these, IMO,  make him even more desirable/admirable by his followers.   :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:53 AM »
Hmmm, Natalie Merchant...  :-*

Was she barefoot again? Saw her once around the time Tigerlily was released... I can support your observations from that evening about the interaction...
She did some encores when half the venue was cleared and the people stood around her piano... Nice somehow but not imaginable with Mark Knopfler.

I often thought during the last months how great and awesome Marks band is. I wrote it before and might be allowed to repeat it without being slaughtered: The only one to make mistakes seems to be MK. I know mistakes do not count  :P, but they are really a bunch of great musos. Matt should be featured more, because he is rather "far from the crowd" so to say, he is really wonderful like all the others.
In Hamburg (I think it was Hamburg?)  I liked what Mark said about Phil (...surely the best flute player of the world, I think even John would agree? - and then looking at John who hesitated to agree..)
Nice moment. That is when you realize he is in a good mood...

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
I can say that after listening such great talented people that Mark hires it is more difficult to attend some other concerts because now that I am so acustomed wit top notch backing band.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 04:04:39 AM »
The only thing I've noticed is that--usually--the smaller the audience, the more chatty he is.   Boothbay in 2006 floored me.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 07:09:53 AM »
LE,

No, she had both shoes on !  :D  I went because my husband wanted me to accompany him.

ds1984,

You're so right about what you said.  I'm not excited about seeing anybody else except Mark and his world class musicians.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.