Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: When the music is over  (Read 9309 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: When the music is over
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »
The blunt part, I'm ashamed to admit, will be an expectation for the record companies to cash in and allow me to buy every bloody outtake and guitar lick the man performed inthe 70s/80s... I'm ashamed but that's the truth.

don't feel ashamed Fletch, I feel the same.

I am not ashamed to admit that I would be far far far more excited by an official release of let's say demos from 1st album/communique or On location tour stuff, or BIA tour stuff, or mandela gig, or a comp of all b-isdes unereleased stuff, or whatever, rather than a new album...maybe some will find this sad, but it's true for me

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »
Another big Clint fan here!

But this is a rather macabre thread.  :-\
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »
The blunt part, I'm ashamed to admit, will be an expectation for the record companies to cash in and allow me to buy every bloody outtake and guitar lick the man performed inthe 70s/80s... I'm ashamed but that's the truth.

don't feel ashamed Fletch, I feel the same.

I am not ashamed to admit that I would be far far far more excited by an official release of let's say demos from 1st album/communique or On location tour stuff, or BIA tour stuff, or mandela gig, or a comp of all b-isdes unereleased stuff, or whatever, rather than a new album...maybe some will find this sad, but it's true for me

And the market is how big? Lol.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
Clint who?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »
Clint is also one on my idols  8)
Well I would say that sadly he was until his recent extreme political views... I did not want to see American Sniper, first time I skip a movie from Clint, but I know I would have been disappointed by the one-sided stand. I prefer to remember Gran Torino as the masterpiece from a great actor and director...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
That Clint! Well,I  like what he said about opinions being like A$$0. Everybody has one. As for his political view,  if I were to stop enjoying art due to the artists opinions for politics, I would have stopped listening to Neil and Lynyrd, Bob, and countless others. And Clints masterpiece could be GT, but Letters from Iwo Jima is a close second. Still the movies I enjoy Clint as an actor are the Sergio Leone westerns and the spawn westerns after.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
Well I would say that sadly he was until his recent extreme political views... I did not want to see American Sniper, first time I skip a movie from Clint, but I know I would have been disappointed by the one-sided stand. I prefer to remember Gran Torino as the masterpiece from a great actor and director...

I also disagree with his political points of views, and not only his recent ones, but what makes him fascinating is the fact he is a constant questionned man : extreme republican, pro-bush ? yes, but director of Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima which are oviously "anti-militarist" films. Racist, extremist in Dirty Harry ? yes but  on the opposite in Magnum force. Viril, a little bit machist in some films ? yes but all the opposite in The Bridges of Madison County, The Beguiled or The Gauntlet, etc...

I like Gran Torino, but it's not my fav

I prefer :

Bird
Honkytonk man
The Bridges of Madison County
Pale Rider
Unforgiven
High Plains Drifter
Mystic River

I didn't see American sniper, and indeed I am not really "excited" to see it, but I would say it's one of many sides of Mister Clint

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
The Sniper film was a poorly done Hurt Locker wannabe.. didn't enjoy it, on the other hand I didn't find it overly 'one sided' after hearing all the hype & controversy about the facts.
Unforgiven is my Brothers In Arms, and Mystic River would be like Infidels.. :) I bet Clints rejected B-sides are good too.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 11:16:46 PM »

I also disagree with his political points of views, and not only his recent ones, but what makes him fascinating is the fact he is a constant questionned man : extreme republican, pro-bush ? yes, but director of Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima which are oviously "anti-militarist" films. Racist, extremist in Dirty Harry ? yes but  on the opposite in Magnum force. Viril, a little bit machist in some films ? yes but all the opposite in The Bridges of Madison County, The Beguiled or The Gauntlet, etc...

I like Gran Torino, but it's not my fav

I prefer :

Bird
Honkytonk man
The Bridges of Madison County
Pale Rider
Unforgiven
High Plains Drifter
Mystic River

I didn't see American sniper, and indeed I am not really "excited" to see it, but I would say it's one of many sides of Mister Clint
A great post JF ! indeed this duality is fascinating... We could talk about Mark's duality too... Rock and roll star or quiet man ? Humble or arrogant ? Super fast guitar player or laid back ? Advocate of free recording or "finger of death" ? Tyran or leader by example ? :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 08:27:16 AM »

Don´t tell me that you never thought about it when you hear that this or that musician/actor/etc died...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »

Don´t tell me that you never thought about it when you hear that this or that musician/actor/etc died...

Prefer not to think about it to be honest. Decent chance MK could outlive me and then it won't be an issue. :)

American Sniper is far from Clint's best work but politically it's not what you would expect. Not really about the rights and wrongs of war, more about the impact on soldiers and their families.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.