Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: When the music is over  (Read 9349 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
When the music is over
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
Hello everybody

This is something I wanted to write about for quite a long but as it´s something I don´t want to happen, I always let it go, but we all know that it will, so...

I still remember the news about MK motocycle accident, and the sad feelings about it, and, everytime any musicians that I like dies, like Gary Moore, Rick Wright , etc, my wife always asks me the same question:

What will happen the day MK dies with all of you, fans? what would you do?

It´s clearly something I don´t want to think about, and surely you neither, but, uncounciously I start to think a bit about it, and obviously I stop at the moment, but...

... attend the funeral?
... visit the grave in a near future?
... do nothing at all?

Obviously the first one won´t happen, as it will be keep in private, but if there is any chance... I think it´s not something for a fan, so I will never ever consider it.

The second one, when visiting London or Newcastle in the future... maybe, I don´t know. I would have mixing feelings about being sad and want to show my respects, but, what for? I don´t know...

Do nothing at all, looks like the thing to do, but... people visit Elvis Presley, Phil Lynnott, Jim Morrison etc graves, leave flowers...

I hate when my wife asks me that question everytime any musicians I like dies  :-\
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
Re: When the music is over
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
It's a topic that crosses my mind now again. Assuming I outlive MK a part of me will die when he dies. He is such an important part of my life. I think I will just go somewhere quiet and light a candle / put some of his music on...

Let's hope it is a long long way off though.....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:30 AM »
Actually it´s curious that, from the many bands I like, Dire Straits is one in which all their ex members are still alive...

I also hope it´s a long long way, I still feel scared when I recall the motocycle accident news...

OfflineMK-47

• Local Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:09 AM »
Do nothing at all, looks like the thing to do, but... people visit Elvis Presley, Phil Lynnott, Jim Morrison etc graves, leave flowers...

I hate when my wife asks me that question everytime any musicians I like dies  :-\

In the last couple of years some of my favorite musicians died. And every time they did there would be dozens of newspaper articles about celebrities paying their respects, countless distasteful twitter and facebook posts that are filled with exaggeration and self promotion. I would be very sad if that happened with Knopfler as well. Considering his attitude towards fame and "celebrity", it would probably be best to do nothing. I think he would be quite happy if he is only remembered as a great musician and songwriter, nothing more and nothing less.

I think I will just go somewhere quiet and light a candle / put some of his music on...

That's probably the best way to pay your last respects to the man who was all music. He is not a celebrity like so many other musicians, so I think he wouldn't like the things that are going on with Elvis fans for example. And Morrison's grave was turned into a pilgrimage destination. Best thing to do is to respect him by listening to his music, and that way he never dies.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »
......I think I will just go somewhere quiet and light a candle / put some of his music on...

That's what I would do.    I hope it's a long way off, though!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
Hi Jbaent,
I don't think aboutMK dying at the moment, he is only 66, so statistically he will have a lot more years to come. But this year I started thinking about what when MK stops making new CD's and stops touring. However he may be in good health at that time, it makes me sad to think about it.

Especially in the past 10 years I met many nice people at concerts, I like the excitement before the release of a CD and before the tour. I love the friendship during tours.
There would be a big hole in the world when he stops. At least for me. For 37 years now he is an important part of my life.

What to do if he dies, I don't know. I don't think there will be a possibility to attend the funeral. Like being in a hall with a big screen to be with fans and show respect for what he did. Of course we are not friends or family, so other options are not in question, I agree with you. Visiting a grave, maybe I would. But it's not really something I am into. Do nothing is .... well nothing. It won't feel good I think. I think I would want to have a remembranceday with fans. Maybe organize something in London where people can get together and celebrate his life. Of course months or maybe a year after he died.

Well let's first focus on the tour to come. Hope he will have enough inspiration to make another CD and do another tour. He is only 66. When he and we are lucky we could have a lot more music to follow from him.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
You have touch upon something I saw about to post Ingrid.  My friend is a huge Doors fan, as much as I am DS/MK fan.  He has visited the grave of Jim Morrison in Paris and he meets up with friends that he knows and has met on the forums etc. 

It would certainly be a way for the AMIT family to get together and, as you say, celebrate his life and music but also to meet each other again!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

surferboy

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »
Very interesting although sad topic!
I went through part of this feeling in the "long" period of uncertainty after the OES tour when it was unclear if he would ever release another album or if he would call it a day. It felt like an eternity. It was a similar thing between Golden Heart and STP.
What would I do without a new addition to the catalogue of his unparalelled music?
What I experienced was, I could very well live with his existing music so far, because it didn't loose its deeply touching beauty for me. I also appreciated his soundtracks if I wanted a change.
In short: MK lays his soul into his music and by listening to it, all you love about him is present. So once he'll be gone, much of his genius will live on in his music. But I'll certainly miss his smile and the unique feeling when he comes on stage...
As a consequence of these "dry" times, I cherish every new release since then, even every new collaboration as an additional gift to my musical survival kit. Other artists simply don't do it for me the way MK does, so I will not be able to compensate a possible loss of MK by listening to other good music.
I think that will be the way I will have to take it when the day finally comes.....in 40 or so years...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:25:11 PM by surferboy »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »
I'm going to be blunt and unsentimental, I've often thought about this... I remember the days at work when someone would walk into the office and announce that Steve Irwin or Michael Jackson died...
I don't think my hero would even close to the same amount of attention as those, but I would depart from my work and go somewhere quiet....
The blunt part, I'm ashamed to admit, will be an expectation for the record companies to cash in and allow me to buy every bloody outtake and guitar lick the man performed inthe 70s/80s... I'm ashamed but that's the truth.
It's a morbid topic, but I've pondered it, Bobs getting old too... Some Sad days lie ahead. Who are the musical geniuses replacing Bob & Mark? :(
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineMK-47

• Local Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »
Who are the musical geniuses replacing Bob & Mark? :(

That is a good question. Haven't found too many young songwriters today worth the listen. I am sure they exist but they rarely surface since they are buried deep under today's shallow popular music.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »
Just like Ingrid and dmg, I think it would be lovely to meet up with friends from this forum, perhaps on the anniversary of the day he died, to remember him and the music which meant so much to us.  I just hope I'll still be here!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
I would want to have a remembranceday with fans. Maybe organize something in London where people can get together and celebrate his life. Of course months or maybe a year after he died.

That´s the best idea, choosing a London spot of special significance for his music and gather there. Hire a tribute band, and enjoy their music!

surferboy

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
The choice of the tribute band should be made carefully...

surferboy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »
The best thing at fan reunions would be special guest Guy telling things he is not yet allowed to tell from the studio and the road.

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
I think Mark's the resilient type and could live until he's 110. Hopefully he's stopped touring by then ...

I'd be a little sad to hear the news, but as I'm not "his biggest fan", I won't burst out in tears and buy a truckload of chocolate either.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 46 queries.