Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark´s relationships  (Read 8191 times)

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
Mark´s relationships
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »
I saw the video on YT about Mark´s six guitars where Illsley and Mark mentioned that the first time Sultans of Swing aired on the radio they were helping someone moving some furnitures and did not hear it. But they couldn't remember who's furnitures they were and Illsley made some comments that it had to be some girlfriends where Mark replied that they didn't have girlfriends back then and joked about that they couldn't afford them. Does anyone have some points of view on this topic? Do you think he had lots of girlfriends? I think he comes across as quite introvert and not quite the ladies man, unlike many other rock artists. He also seems very kind hearted and not the player type so I am curious to put some pieces together on this subject  :)

Does anybody know whether he had some girlfriends between the separation with Kathy White in 1973 and Holly Vincent in 78-79? Maybe there is some truth to the comment that he didn't have many in those years.

I am also curious of how he met both Holly Vincent and Lourdes Salomone, they are both Americans I think? So maybe they were working backstage on Mark´s concerts or maybe they met clubbing after concerts in US or during the time he lived there? 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:44:40 PM by WaterofLove »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mark´s relationships
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »
Holly Vincent was the singer of a punk band managed by Ed Bicknell at the same time than DS.

Lourdes Salomone was working for the Warner Bros record company so they obviously met there.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:12:24 AM »
Thanks a lot for your reply :-) I really enjoy your posts on this forum, you sure have lots of knowledge about MK and DS!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »
I alwasy wondered if Sue Hercombe was his girlfriend, or just a "friend"

the oldfield book explains that DTTW is about a girlfriend in his youthness and that3 songs from he 1st album are about his 1st wife (six blade knife, water of love, setting up).
So if Mark had had a "serious" relation between 73 and 77, I guess he would have wrote a song about it

the separation with Holly Vincent was CIRCA fall 79 I guess. Ed explains in the Oldfield book that Mark sung WDYTYG like he never did before, the day they broke up, and it was during the 2nd US tour in 79.
I have a therory that his neck lace we can see on several pictures from late78-79 (e.g. on live at the BBC cover) was a gift from Holly, but it's only speculation

during the LOG tour, the Oldfield book talks about band members' "girlfirends" , including Mark, and at the time he wasn't with Lourdes

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 12:16:22 AM »
I have wondered about the same thing, regarding Sue. They obviously spent a lot of time together due to the interest of music, so it sounds possible that she was the inspiration for DTTW.
Also in Tracker, in the song Basil, he sings "I kissed a Gateshead girl", maybe this also is Sue? This song is about his experiences when he was a copy boy at 15, so it may be from the same time as DTTW.

Do you think he was dating/had a relationship with Holly for only one year? Holly did refer to the relationship with Mark in the words "I had a scene with him", so it does seem that it was a short period of time.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
Most information comes from Myles Palmer and Mike Oldfield books. It might be interesting to read about the inspiration of the tracks, but the details are really way to few. Mostly hints and half words, apart from the confirmed names and the wide time frame. But does it really matters?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.