Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: So how do you feel Privateering (album) is holding up?  (Read 6370 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: So how do you feel Privateering (album) is holding up?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 12:45:51 AM »
I have a playlist from privateering which I use for insomnia, very relaxing and usually works ! I mean that in the nicest possible way, it's pretty much the album stripped of the blues songs, which to me are truly awful now. I can't stand them, they sound lifeless and have no energy.
Of course the bonus songs are exceptional to my tastes, and like many other of MKs decisions, make me wonder what he's smoking these days! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:29 AM »
I left the cd in my mother's car a couple of years a go, and listen to it when I borrow the car and am alone at the same time. Then it's redbud tree (great!); go, love (nice) and yon two crows (nice), if there's nothing on the radio. I find Privateering and Get Lucky both a bit boring. But live he can play whatever he wants. Then he is always great, in my opinion.

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »
Had a listen to the whole album yesterday. Been a while since last time. I think it's holding up very well, to be honest. A bit surprised. Overall I feel it has a gritty sound to it that I like, and I think it could do well with removing some of the "smoother" tunes (the one about New York, Haul Away, Seattle, for instance) and a couple of the blues numbers that are too similar. Redbud Tree should definitely not be the opener (given the "feel" signified by the rusty van on the cover); rather Corned Beef City. I used to could would be a cool closer.

So yeah, I like it.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
I used to could would be a cool closer.

it's a matter of taste, but this kind of song sounds album opener to me, not a closer.

I always prefered clam songs for albums closers : BIA, Follow me home, are we in trouble now, one more matinee, old pigweed, etc...

in the case of Privateering, I would see Radio city sereande as the perfect closer, or better: follow the gibbon with his never ending outro

but I alawys find a bit strange to end an album on a uptempo song. what's why songs like CBC or IUTC fit more in beginning on the album imho

as for the album, I like it, but not very found of the blues tracks. If I want listen to "white" blues, I surely don't go for MK, but rather to SRV, EC, Stones, ABB, Derek Trucks, Winter, Gallagher, ZZ Top, etc...

my favs are : submariner, go love, bluebird, blood and water, serenade, YTC, IUTC, occupation blues. Not much found of rebud tree. for this kind of typical stratish clean sound, I prefer beachcombing for example

what I don't like on the Privateering album is the bass sound : several songs have saturated bass, like Go love for example. Very strange for sound quality obssessed guys like GF and MK

OfflineMK-47

• Local Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
I didn't like the Privateering album when I first heard it. Apart from the title song and a couple of others I thought the rest of the album was quite boring. One of the biggest flaws for me is the singing which sometimes I just cannot ignore. But as with most of Knopfler's work I probably need to give it some time to sink in. I had the same opinion about The Ragpicker's Dream, but when I studied the lyrics a bit and listened to it a couple of times, it grew on me. So maybe the same thing will happen with Privateering one day. I guess I am a bit too impatient and lazy for MK albums haha but I will change I promise  :)

OfflineDust n diesel

• Guitar George
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 12:57:39 AM »
I listened to the album once and that's all. I really didn't like it, I'm only just getting into tracker and only like a few tracks on that album. They don't seem to me to be albums that I'd put on a random routine. Mind you I'm still trying to get into oes since purchasing it in 92.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »
OES is DS album I currently play the most, because this is the one DS record selected for my car.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »
Holds up pretty well. I really like how they moved foreward with the production making more raw for some of the bluesier tracks.  However there is simply too many songs making it a bit unfocussed.  One CD would have been better.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 12:29:59 AM »
After my daughters were born, I load the albums in my phone and listen to them while commuting. I give them time (usually 3-4 weeks) and I some times force myself to listen to them, even if my whole existence say, don't waste your time, listen to something else. And I only do this for my 5 favorite musicians/bands, or if a friend insists. It worked a bit with KTGC  which now I like (thanks to rollergirl, where is she now?) and GL, which I like a lot,  but didn't work for Privateering. I just refuse to go back there.  And Tracker's time is running out as well. Another thing is that some albums are tough to get, but once you get them you either go back and enjoy them repeatedly (like TRD), or you just don't visit them again, holding the feeling of the time you understood  them. Happened with Kid A by Radiohead and Philophobia by Arab Stap. Both difficult - out of the usual for me- albums, that demanded repeated forced plays, and revealed themselves in peculiar state of mind- and time. I tried them again after years, but it was the whole experience I guess, and I couldn't bring it back just by playing the music.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 40 queries.