Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sailing to Philladelphia as a Dire Straits album  (Read 23354 times)

foma

Re: Sailing to Philladelphia as a Dire Straits album
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 10:55:38 PM »
Paul Crockford shouting 'Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark Knooooooooooooopfler' in his Union Jack suit is one of the worst things I can remember in my life.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »
It's fun.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
Paul Crockford shouting 'Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark Knooooooooooooopfler' in his Union Jack suit is one of the worst things I can remember in my life.

You need to attend the Glasgow show then because he doesn't wear that jacket here.  In Glasgow he'd get attacked by some Yes voters and Celtic supporters!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »
He's got a bright orange one, too. Maybe he should wear it in the Netherlands  ;D

Anyway I like his announcement. Some people even mistake him for MK when he enters the stage, I guess, because of the loud cheering by some people.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »
He's got a bright orange one, too. Maybe he should wear it in the Netherlands  ;D

That's banned in Glasgow too due to the possibility of outraging some Celtic supporters!  It's a "complicated" city.  :(

foma

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
Hm, I still find it pretty strange. Never saw such an over-super-loud-proud announcement. I like modest walking on stage by Mark much more.
One of the best walking on stage was performed by Hugh Laurie — he appeared on the side of the stage while dancing like amateur.
This was super-duper-fun and settled the good mood on the whole show ahead. But this roar by PC on stage in jacket is just not for me.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »
Hm, I still find it pretty strange. Never saw such an over-super-loud-proud announcement. I like modest walking on stage by Mark much more.
One of the best walking on stage was performed by Hugh Laurie — he appeared on the side of the stage while dancing like amateur.
This was super-duper-fun and settled the good mood on the whole show ahead. But this roar by PC on stage in jacket is just not for me.

I see what you mean.  It's the one thing that doesn't fit with the rest of the show;  everything in the show is so underrated and low-key, yet you have it announced by a man wearing a costume jacket with a voice like a foghorn.  No one would ever suspect he's actually his "manager."  Perhaps this is his job?  I haven't any doubt that this part of the show was invented by PC himself and has nothing to do with Mark.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »
Perhaps Ed is available for an exclusive amit interview in a private section? Or maybe it is better not to disturb the ghosts of the past?  :hmm

It's no secret I love Ed to bits.  I think Mark is the sort of guy who needs someone like Ed to keep him on track.  Without Ed I sometimes think that Mark just doesn't know his best songs or what direction to go.  Perhaps he's just too arrogant in that respect and needs someone of Ed's personality to put him in his place and let him know.  Whatever it was, they complimented each other and it worked.

With PC there is no direction, no promo, no organisation and Mark seemingly left to get on with it choosing some awful songs for albums while leaving out the best ones!  There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that his career has taken a downturn overall (not only the music) since PC came along.

You nailed it!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »

I don't like it either. It started as PC reading the no video recordings policy, and when touring with Dylan and seeing Dylan was introduced that way, or similar, PC started to do it.

Totally unnecessary

foma

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »

I see what you mean.  It's the one thing that doesn't fit with the rest of the show;  everything in the show is so underrated and low-key, yet you have it announced by a man wearing a costume jacket with a voice like a foghorn.  No one would ever suspect he's actually his "manager."  Perhaps this is his job?  I haven't any doubt that this part of the show was invented by PC himself and has nothing to do with Mark.

Yes, I hope it wasn't Mark's idea :lol :lol

Sailing to Philladelphia as a Dire Straits album — I heard only about 'What It Is' being a Dire Straits alike-song.

I believe Mark's relationships with Ed wasn't interrupted on a bad chord. I think it's something like John Illsley thing. Hey, he can't play double bass, so Mark just have to search somebody else. Looking at whole Dire Straits chronology and success I can only say — Ed was really good.

“I always say to bands: why take me on for my experience if you then ignore my advice?
If you want somebody who just is going to tell you that you’re great, you might as well get your mum to manage you.”

Said Paul Crockford. Read more: http://www.hitquarters.com/index.php3?page=intrview/2008/February18_0_0_2.html#ixzz3f1YrtO2S

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 03:47:28 PM »
That quote from PC is quite fun, as he does it just for the rest of his bands, that are very unknown to me...

In that interview he kind of says how lucky he is managing something like MK who guarantee a big amount of success without having to work too much (the big and loyal MK fan base...)

I wonder if PC manage to take more than 20% of the decisions... With someone so successful and that fan base you only have to "go with the swallows"

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 01:26:04 AM »
I guess PC is in charge of the deal with the cars company and the associated contractual corp. gig.

With Dire Straits Mark was built for success.
Solo, Mark does what he intends to.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 03:30:57 PM »
My two cents on this subject, not regarding to Ed or Paul.

I always thought the other way round, that OES was the first Mark Knopfler solo album, with the help from some familiar musicians. This was Vgonis the Greek input, and I think he nails it.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 03:56:59 PM »
Despite a few exception such as the closing track OES really sounds like a DS album. STP ix a mixed bag, half of the  stuff really sounds as a DS follow up whereas the other half is a step to more personal stuff but this album has more unit than Golden Heart that was more of a patchwork of Mark's influences.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 44 queries.