Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sailing to Philladelphia as a Dire Straits album  (Read 23355 times)

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
Sailing to Philladelphia as a Dire Straits album
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:55:40 PM »
I read back on some old topics a few days back and interstingly it seems that the Ed Bicknell MK split happened partly because EB wanted Mark to release it as a Dire Straits album.  Listening back to the album it could easily have been a DS album, especially if it had included Pyroman and maybe omited a few songs.

Any truth to this rumour and how do you think the album would have fared with the extra attention it would have gotten being a return album for DS?  Would they have been able to do a tour on the same level as OES tour etc etc?

Personally I think it would have done greatly. What it is, Who's Your Lover Now, Speedway, Silvertown and Junkie Doll all have some mainstream radio potential IMO.

Also it would have been interesting having other Straits memeber contributions on these songs especially Alan Clarks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:59:37 PM by boriszhukov »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Sailing to Philladelphia as a Dire Straits album
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »
It was not that Ed wanted STP to be a Dire Straits cd, it was that MK wanted it to sound like Ragpickers Dream sounded some years after, and Ed pushed MK to record STP trying to sound more "Straits".

Then MK kick out Ed as a manager and started a low profile career, as he wanted.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesak4

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
Still my favourite. ;)

:)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »
It was not that Ed wanted STP to be a Dire Straits cd, it was that MK wanted it to sound like Ragpickers Dream sounded some years after, and Ed pushed MK to record STP trying to sound more "Straits".

Then MK kick out Ed as a manager and started a low profile career, as he wanted.

Good old Ed!  Makes one wonder what the other albums may have sounded like with Ed behind them...  :think
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »

Good old Ed!  Makes one wonder what the other albums may have sounded like with Ed behind them...  :think

Ed wanted that MK solo career could be more commercial oriented, following more or less what DS did, but MK wanted the opposite. A friend who talked once with Ed told me that the conversation that broke their relation was something like "if that is what you want to do in the future I can't manage you anymore", MK: "then I need a new manager"
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
I think I was the one guilty for spreading the rumour, I imagined an hypothetical dialogue bwtween Mark and Ed in which Ed was pushing mark to restore DS with the STP album :)
I'm not sure ED had even an opportunity to explain himself and resign - if the (in)famous helmet story ("you are fired") is true ;)
Yes STP is very straits-esque and could have been released as it was with a DS sticker on it - it would have been accepted as such with great success.

STP is clearly my favorite solo album, but I also love TRD and understand this new direction - very courageous from Mark, he could have just continued making DS/STP stuff with great success and money, but chose to finally do what he really wanted to do...

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
Frankly, I've never really been able to understand Mark's and Guy's obsession with "sound". STP is my favourite MK solo CD because the songs are magnificent, the arrangements are great and the sound is...well, good I suppose. Slightly different from later CDs, but mainly because of the songs and arrangements, which are more energetic and varied than later efforts. Kill to Get Crisom may sound great to Guy and Mark, but I hardly ever listen to that album simply because the songs are nothing special and they are arranged like lullabies.

Going back further, Mark has a history of somewhat cold and sterile albums soundwise (such as Love Over Gold), but killer songs still work.

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
I completely understand that Mark wanted to make it more low profile. (Even though drawing 5000-10000 people per night is still only one level under DS stadium acts)  Looking at Nimes 92 the other day. It seems to be such a guitar show off. Done to perfection by MK but also very boring in a lot of ways. It seems at the time it was becoming too much of MK guitar hero thing "whos the worlds greatest rock guitarist" etc. etc. 

What he does today is much more true to the roots and is something that makes sense performing every night from the perspective of a 65 year old songwriter. Even if it isnt exactly inovative etc etc.

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:31:13 PM »
I completely understand that Mark wanted to make it more low profile. (Even though drawing 5000-10000 people per night is still only one level under DS stadium acts)  Looking at Nimes 92 the other day. It seems to be such a guitar show off. Done to perfection by MK but also very boring in a lot of ways. It seems at the time it was becoming too much of MK guitar hero thing "whos the worlds greatest rock guitarist" etc. etc. 

What he does today is much more true to the roots and is something that makes sense performing every night from the perspective of a 65 year old songwriter. Even if it isnt exactly inovative etc etc.

Here's a 67-year old guy who knows how to "show off" in a good way and put tons of fun into his soloing. Just listen to the solo at 3:20 and onwards. I mean, wow. This pretty bad quality clip makes me stomp my feet and smile. Can't say the same after listening to the better quality clips of Mark ... Unfortunately.

gsTX0RfmUHk

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »

Ed wanted that MK solo career could be more commercial oriented, following more or less what DS did, but MK wanted the opposite. A friend who talked once with Ed told me that the conversation that broke their relation was something like "if that is what you want to do in the future I can't manage you anymore", MK: "then I need a new manager"

What Mark needed was a "yes man" and he got one.  A passive manager who only organises tours (ahem) and does promotion for him (em...).  Yes, one has to ask what exactly does PC do?  ::)

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
And tell me Guy isn't a "yes man" ...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
And tell me Guy isn't a "yes man" ...

The fans at gigs should start singing these words to the well known football chant "are you Crockford in disGUYse!"  ;D

Actually, you're spot on.  They're all "yes men."  It's easy money for them.  No wonder they're laughing and having fun up there!

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 10:27:38 PM »
Perhaps Ed is available for an exclusive amit interview in a private section? Or maybe it is better not to disturb the ghosts of the past?  :hmm
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 10:37:17 PM »
Perhaps Ed is available for an exclusive amit interview in a private section? Or maybe it is better not to disturb the ghosts of the past?  :hmm

It's no secret I love Ed to bits.  I think Mark is the sort of guy who needs someone like Ed to keep him on track.  Without Ed I sometimes think that Mark just doesn't know his best songs or what direction to go.  Perhaps he's just too arrogant in that respect and needs someone of Ed's personality to put him in his place and let him know.  Whatever it was, they complimented each other and it worked.

With PC there is no direction, no promo, no organisation and Mark seemingly left to get on with it choosing some awful songs for albums while leaving out the best ones!  There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that his career has taken a downturn overall (not only the music) since PC came along.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »

It's no secret I love Ed to bits.  I think Mark is the sort of guy who needs someone like Ed to keep him on track.  Without Ed I sometimes think that Mark just doesn't know his best songs or what direction to go.  Perhaps he's just too arrogant in that respect and needs someone of Ed's personality to put him in his place and let him know.  Whatever it was, they complimented each other and it worked.

With PC there is no direction, no promo, no organisation and Mark seemingly left to get on with it choosing some awful songs for albums while leaving out the best ones!  There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that his career has taken a downturn overall (not only the music) since PC came along.

I agree with you. But in the end it could be the way MK wants his career. When he is touring he is able to walk through all these cities in the spare time unrecognised. I can't image Eric Clapton, Sir Paul, or Mighty Barking Bob doing that.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 42 queries.