Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Vinyl: "Brothers in Arms" from Mobile Fidelity  (Read 3519 times)

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
Vinyl: "Brothers in Arms" from Mobile Fidelity
« on: April 06, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
Hi!

I've just been listening to a Brothers in Arms version reissued by Mobile Fidelity that I've borrowed from a friend on my turntable, and I have to say it's the best version of the record I have ever heard. My turntable is not very expensive, but this record sounds really great! The bass is really tight and deep, deeper and with more low frequency information than I have ever heard on this record before, and the details are great. If you own a turntable I'd say this is a must have!

Here is a review from Analog Planet of the Mobile Fidelity version:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/brothers-arms%C2%A0%C2%A0-45rpm-mobile-fidelity

This version features explosive dynamics, super-tight and deep bass, pristine "crystalline" highs (in the best and worst meanings of that word) and yet gone to a great degree is the original's ear-fatiguing glare. Inner detail resolution mesmerizes, the guitars transients are oh-so-cleanly rendered and there's even air and space, but though the drums have been especially well recorded in terms of miking and microphones used, the cymbals remain "pristine" and overly polite, and Omar Hakim's snare hits hard, ringy and lacking in skin (if it's a drum pad they are perfect, though to be fair, a great deal of purposeful processing has been applied to the drum hits to give them a particular sound that the resolution of this record makes abundantly clear).

Mobile Fidelity:

http://www.mofi.com/product_p/mfsl2-441.htm

-Jarle
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
Re: Vinyl: "Brothers in Arms" from Mobile Fidelity
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the hint. I look forward to hearing it!
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »
Jarle

Its funny you posted this, I ordered it on Friday
should get it later this week.

Brian
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:38:41 AM »
Man, I still think the original vinyl kicks the ass of any CD version. Love it.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »
Jarle

Its funny you posted this, I ordered it on Friday
should get it later this week.

Brian

Great! You won't be disappointed :) Let me know what you think when it arrives...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »
Man, I still think the original vinyl kicks the ass of any CD version. Love it.

When tyou think that this particular CD support has been the sate of the art for the recorded music, promoting the "DDD" label.

And 30 years afters, the BIA album is celebrated on vinyl format.... Ah ah ha.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the links. I found the comments from Neil about the original masters of BiA interesting. If you want to read more about that topic, Chuck Ainlay went into much greater depth about it in an interview from 2005 after he worked on the 20th anniversary project. You can read it here: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/brothers-in-arms.html

I must say it's quite surprising and a bit unfortunate that the original masters of BiA only exist in 16 bit due to the limitations at the time with Sony DASH recording. It's funny that 16 bit was considered cutting edge and master quality at the time.  :)
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 03:40:52 AM »
Very interesting! I have heard such editions (not the particular one) and I have come to the conclusion that in some it sounds great while in others I prefer other editions. I even checked with a friend of mine that works in a record store and has dozens of such records for sale (used records, so he gets to listen to them as well) and he pretty much agrees with my sentiments. Another friend of mine who is a big vinyl collector (and 25 years older than me) claims that there is no point in buying digital recordings in vinyl format. Even some music engineers claim that the CD is much better than the vinyl, because you have absolute control over the 1 and 0.  In any case  I would really love to have this in my collection. I already have 20 or so copies of the album from different parts of the world, or modern repressing and remasters. BTW, the best pressings for MM and the first DS album I have heard are the half speed masters series. Great sounding! I also have the quiex series for LoG but I can't spot any great improvement. I know that BiA and Alchemy was also issued in Quiex and some claim that it is the best sounding. From http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=366701 : "Quiex II was a harder, purer vinyl used on WEA (Warner, Elektra, Atlantic) label Promotional copies. Same stampers as used on early pressings to the public and the same mastering. I own a Double RL promo first pressing of Brothers In Arms which is the best US pressing in my book." 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 12:43:39 AM »
Jarle/Fletch

Well I received my copy on Friday, did not have time to crack it open until Sunday.

I started with my original copy Uk pressing 30 years old. Man did sound nice, after so many plays it does have ware
and quite a few clicks an pops.
Then I played a 180 gram rerelease, a lot quieter, nice punchy bass, great sounding vocals.
Next was from the 6 box release, this one is "O" so quiet, real nice bass, mids good but no air on top. Still the best out of the 3 copies.

MOFI version was next, boy I hated it. the 1st track I played "Walk of Life" the bass in it was so muddy and boomy the vocal where coloured and not natural.
Time to make some room changes, I moved a couple of bass traps. I'm so glad I did.
Next track "Your Latest trick" the bass was so punchy and clear you felt it in your chest.The vocals superb and so much air on top.
I ended up play the whole album twice. This is defiantly the best copy I own.

I must mention, that everybody will not feel the same about the MOFI pressing, as I do have a very relieving system that shows up the pluses
and minus of a pressing. I use tube amp's and preamp and the system is in the 50K usd range list price.

Cheers Brian
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.