Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK interview on Huffington Post  (Read 14055 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: MK interview on Huffington Post
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Amnesty_International

Even whole page for AI criticism exists on Wikipedia, I didn't know that. And after reading this, still you thinks AI filled with nuns and monks only?

But again, I talk here not about Amnesty International, I talk about fans who was hurt by his decision. In fact the only thing ended up hurt was fans.

No fan was physically hurt by Mark's cancelling decision.
Anna Politkovskaïa was shot dead.
Pussy riots were physically jailed.

Where is the moral?

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »
Foma,
Sometimes you just have to 'move on' from things at the end of the day.
Just remember like us, MK will not be around forever so make the most of him while you can....

Sorry Steve, but I feel myself like in mental hospital here on AMIT. With me as a patient and others as doctors.

So nothing wrong with Ustas on that side, I can clearly understand him. Let's see if I can stand this medieval attacks and total intolerance.

Totally with you on this Foma and think Mark was wrong in his decision.  Only his fans suffered.  Did that never occur to him or did he really cancel the shows for another reason, using Putin/AI as an excuse...

Back to the interview and I don't really like these ones where he's been interviewed because they tend to be non-critical.  Therefore the actual review is pointless.

Oh Gawd!! Moving on....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 02:08:15 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Amnesty_International

Even whole page for AI criticism exists on Wikipedia, I didn't know that. And after reading this, still you thinks AI filled with nuns and monks only?

But again, I talk here not about Amnesty International, I talk about fans who was hurt by his decision. In fact the only thing ended up hurt was fans.

No fan was physically hurt by Mark's cancelling decision.
Anna Politkovskaïa was shot dead.
Pussy riots were physically jailed.

Where is the moral?

The fans didn't do anything wrong and yet after paying money and looking forward to the concert suddenly found themselves having no concert to go to because Mark cancelled due to his beliefs.  Yet he tours happily all the time in countries where their governments start wars despite writing anti-war songs.  Bizarre!  The government does not speak for his concert-goers but they get punished.

I think shangri la 1 was correct in that this is not a forum for politics.   :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

foma

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 02:22:34 PM »
This forum is about Mark, Mark is a human being, human beings make decisions on daily basis, decisions may be good or bad, and may be political.

So all politics here in decision effect and all that remain actually worth talking about and nothing wrong here.

foma

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
Thank you dmg for your good inputs. At least somebody feel sorry for people, just music fans who was literally spit in face by Mark with this decision.

foma

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 02:50:54 PM »
We, couple of hundreds of fans, even wrote an open letter to Mark. But you know, you'll never get to The One if he doesn't want to.

So he just spit in faces of all those people, like Roger Waters. You can say there was too small reaction, but it's because we don't know English much.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:54:47 PM by foma »

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Thank you dmg for your good inputs. At least somebody feel sorry for people, just music fans who was literally spit in face by Mark with this decision.

Don't worry, dmg is not the only one: you have my sympathy too. And if I'm honest I find the decision of Mark completely out of place, on the substance and method
Only, I don't like to discuss politics in a music forum

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
He did the same against the apartheid regime of South Africa in the 80's, so it's really nothing new for the man.

Although the banning was of course a two way street.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:00:16 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

foma

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »
He did the same against the apartheid regime of South Africa in the 80's, so it's really nothing new for the man.

Boy, you can compare... ;D

Yes, I saw many people who said 'I'll never listen to Mark's music again after that' or comments on the internet with links to the news and saying 'After this I will not listen to him'. I still stumble across that constantly. You obviously can say they're just fools and this have nothing to do with music. But... is cancelling shows have something to do with music, anyway? Mark is a politician or a musician? So, it's a two way street.

At least Dire Straits was really huge name in 80s and they ended up as headline act on Mandela' 'birthday party'.

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »
Politicians are not good people nowadays. In my point of view, good people can't be politician. In Turkey we have this Erdogan puppet. He is doing a lot of terrible things to his people. Just a fascist without any knowledge and kindness. BUT  music fans should not be punished for it.

In 2013 we have Gezi Park protests with 3.5 millions of people, due to corruptions of this worthless man. Police brutally attacked the demonstrators and a couple of young man lost his life. Precisely in those days Roger Waters bring The Wall tour to the Istanbul and  reflected on the wall photographs of those killed. Counting individual by name.That's what I call a protest.

Don't get me wrong, ? love this man's music but this does not ensure that the right of every decision. We say here music and politics diffrent thing - and i agree- but apparently our man do not feel the same way.

foma

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 03:19:42 PM »
Politicians are not good people nowadays. In my point of view, good people can't be politician. In Turkey we have this Erdogan puppet. He is doing a lot of terrible things to his people. Just a fascist without any knowledge and kindness. BUT  music fans should not be punished for it.

In 2013 we have Gezi Park protests with 3.5 millions of people, due to corruptions of this worthless man. Police brutally attacked the demonstrators and a couple of young man lost his life. Precisely in those days Roger Waters bring The Wall tour to the Istanbul and  reflected on the wall photographs of those killed. Counting individual by name.That's what I call a protest.

Don't get me wrong, ? love this man's music but this does not ensure that the right of every decision. We say here music and politics diffrent thing - and i agree- but apparently our man do not feel the same way.

You're right, we have a proverb here, which have Latin origins I believe, meaning 'Only fools can be hungry for any forms of authority'.

And what happen, we have fools in government, this is bad. But when we lost a favourite artist's show BECAUSE of the government is not bad, it's a ******* ********.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »

Boy, you can compare... ;D

Yes, I saw many people who said 'I'll never listen to Mark's music again after that' or comments on the internet with links to the news and saying 'After this I will not listen to him'. I still stumble across that constantly. You obviously can say they're just fools and this have nothing to do with music. But... is cancelling shows have something to do with music, anyway? Mark is a politician or a musician? So, it's a two way street.

At least Dire Straits was really huge name in 80s and they ended up as headline act on Mandela' 'birthday party'.

No comparison made, promise! Although as a legal counsel I have a hard time understanding (from a strictly legal point of view) the anti-gay acts, which kind of seems a bit apartheid-ish these days... Les Boys did the cabaret already in the time of the Making Movies album.

I'd say MK is a musician first who besides that is a longtime member of Amnesty - not just for the good cause, but for his own determined opinions.

I really have no stance in the debate. Just wanted to drop a note regarding his previous ban.

Exiting  :wave

"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

foma

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
Sorry for bringing up this topic again, but I'm still angry. And I stopped listening Tracker for second day now, and I can't help it.

If Mark will say just one other proud word about cancelling Russian shows I'll throw all his records out of the window and will never listen it again.

Offlinegeordie_60

• Local Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »
Sorry for bringing up this topic again, but I'm still angry. And I stopped listening Tracker for second day now, and I can't help it.

If Mark will say just one other proud word about cancelling Russian shows I'll throw all his records out of the window and will never listen it again.

I hear what you re saying, but what MK is doing is nothing compared to Sting https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2009/11/is_sting_the_wo/

foma

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2015, 11:45:11 PM »

I hear what you re saying, but what MK is doing is nothing compared to Sting https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2009/11/is_sting_the_wo/

Thank you for the link geordie_60! Well. That's was just disgusting. By the way, Sting was OK with Russia, he gave some big interviews, even recorded couple of songs for a Christmas TV special. Mark also gave this strange 'secret show' once in US bank right in the middle of the tour. I just hate these things. What's wrong with this people?

Why on Earth I caught myself thinking about throwing someone's records out of the window? I never thought that I actually CAN think like that, but I certainly do.

You'll never know what will happen tomorrow.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 52 queries.