Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK interview on Huffington Post  (Read 14044 times)

foma

Re: MK interview on Huffington Post
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »
Thanks, I love Britain, too. Easy to talk when Mark can't cancel show in your country and swap it with another The Netherlands one prior to tour start.

You British people just have this prejudiced attitude on Russians, I've read couple of books about this topic already. French people loves Russians more, even German people loves Russians more despite WWI, WWII and 1812 wars. This is just facts. I must get on with it, and I'll do of course.

Just sad that 2008 concert was the last time I've seen Mark live in my hometown.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:55:47 AM by foma »

foma

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 01:13:06 AM »
Even Guy's diaries contains more disaffection and bad details about Russia than from other countries. Look at this car with a bath on the roof! Look at this poster! Look at this whore-looking girls! Look at this soldiers! Look at this police car! Mark said “The driving is a bit Dodge City” about Saint-Petersburg. Bad roads also got mentioned, also not very good airport and service. In other words, all bad in Russia if you're British.

I mean, why even bother to visit us in 2001, 2005 and 2008 then? Say you don't like Russia and don't be hypocritical. But 'official reason' was found.

Next time you will want to say a bad thing about Russia please consider we lost more souls in one of the first battles of WWII than UK in whole WWI.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:35:33 AM by foma »

Offlinegeordie_60

• Local Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 01:30:17 AM »
Yes Russia lost 20 million in WW2.  But its NOW we re talking about. You are living in the middle ages for Gods sake.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 02:16:06 AM »
Foma, for me there are just two sides. It is difficult to discuss it here because it is a political discussion which would last at least hours maybe days to discuss it properly. I think the topic is really difficult. Of course it is a tragedy for Russian fans and it is a tragedy for you, and i feel really compassion about it.
On the other hand i think an artist as Mark Knopfler must be very wary what he does and what he does not. And i'm glad that he thinks about it and that he dares to declare himself (regardless whether his decision is right or wrong) Politians always try to misuse the glory of famous persons for their own reputation. I don't have an inside view into the Russian system, i only know some Russians who are living nearby, i like them and i even work together with them. They have all a different view to Russians politics, and so do we.
At the moment there is the military conflict in Ukraine where Russia is involved strongly and where also western countries (Putin thinks the Nato, probably he is right, don't know it) are involved. There is a propaganda war on both sides, so nobody can be sure what is right and what is wrong. So nobody here can make a decision that is based on logic and ratio because everwhere are only lies. So for this tour i can somehow understand that he is not playing in Russia. The situation is complete unclear, although the everydays life in Moscow is as ever.
The other thing is that from the view of many European countries (we are talking here about the majority of the inhabitants and not about all of them, there are also many inhabitants who have another opinion) Putins politics and how he is orientied has worrying signs. And the main question is does the Russian system really guarantee the values of a democracy. Western point is that Putin is loosing these values and is changing the direction, in Russia, however, he is very popular. There were huge (really HUGE) political changes in the last three decades in Russia. At this decisive point it is very important what is going to happen in the Future. Mark made a sign that he is for democracy, for separation of powers, for liberty of speech and freedom of expression. And he criticised that the Russian state didn't care about some of this values. He made clear that he is against Putins politic and he tried to make in that situation a sign. I like that sign, i'm very sad for you, because you are a big enthusiast, and indeed it's sad for a thousand of fans, but he has the right to do so (As you would have the right to boycott his concerts!). I like the Russian mentality here, and there is much understanding, but i think its good to make signs. And unfortunately there is not a clear division between arts and politis. Better he made that sign (even if it could be wrong) than supporting the possible wrong side.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 02:31:48 AM »
I think yontwocrows made a good point here. Every change in history is made by revolution, one way or the other. Pussy Riot made statements their way. They want more freedom and you can agree or disagree with the way they did it. But it was their revolution to make it clear. In the Western world we are used to freedom and are very liberal towards people who fight for their freedom of speech, expression, behaviour. I am heterosexual, but I really can't understand that there are still people in this world who think it's a disease or who think they can change it by punishing. That's why we can understand and agree with the decision MK made.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:18:27 PM by ingridswing »

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 02:44:31 AM »
Can't comment on the politics  :thumbsdown I don't know enough about it to be objective.
Can Comment on the Huffing Posts review though.  :thumbsup
Also their choice of an AMIT video for the story!  :clap :thumbsup

WARNING re: this topic.
Don't get too fired-up.
Politics can do that!
And AMIT can do with-out it!!

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 02:52:40 AM »
Sorry, you're right it goes off-topic. Foma, if you want, we can discuss it in another non MK related thread. I won't fired up with the topic, Shangri-La, and i respect foma a lot, and can understand his point of view very well. Thanks for warning

LoveExpresso

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »
Leaving the forum  last night for a good night's sleep, I already knew what I would read here today: Now those figures of WW1 and WW2 are showing up again - foma, I am sorry that you lost your lighthearted, friendly temper that you showed on AMIT and got so angry about this. We already lost Ustas two years ago because of this - so it is a very delicate theme, no doubt.

As this is a Mark Knopfler orientated forum, we should concentrate on Mark and DS and his music and guitars AND tabs. And yes, also on his decisions of course. But bringing up WW2 figures, Amnesty/terrorist matters and stuff will lead too far into other themes like politics, religion, s.e.xuality (hehe), economy and stuff, and we just can't do it - not because we are just a bunch of uncritical fanboys (and -girls) but because it will blow up the AMIT idea from my point of view. Same as I am not a friend of f.e. posting political stuff on fb, as it is just a social network, not more, and not a platform for everything under the sun.

So maybe you can come over it and look at this as something that is done and cannot be re-done. If Mark has done a wrong decision, so ok, he's human after all. If you cannot come over it, try to weigh up if your love and compassion for Mark is affected by this decision so strongly that you can still listen to him and his music or not. I would love you to listen to him in the future furthermore, be assured.

I can add that he never played in my hometown so I had to travel everytime I wanted to see him.  ;)

LE

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »
please keep this forum free from politics

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
Yes agreed, MK 'positiveness' only thankyou...... :clap

Great interview I thought....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

foma

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 09:55:23 AM »
Thank you all, I said already I must go along with it. I just think that, if only thing what got hurt is fans, why won't you protest after the concert? Or ON it? Madonna played concert in 2013 in the shirt with 'Free Pussy Riot' written on it if I remember correctly. This is kind of 'protest' I can understand.

Mark is almost unknown there, especially in our numb post-soviet government. So his decision is like me boycotting his music — patently absurd.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
Foma,
Sometimes you just have to 'move on' from things at the end of the day.
Just remember like us, MK will not be around forever so make the most of him while you can....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

foma

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:27 AM »
Foma,
Just remember like us, MK will not be around forever so make the most of him while you can....

Sorry Steve, but I feel myself like in mental hospital here on AMIT. With me as a patient and others as doctors.

So nothing wrong with Ustas on that side, I can clearly understand him. Let's see if I can stand this medieval attacks and total intolerance.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
Foma,
I find it a real shame espeically on this fabulous forum that Politics or simular have to come in the way of us all appreciating a true master in MK....

Personally I feel we all have our differences in life, and I respect that but this should NOT come in the way of following the great master...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
Foma,

Sorry Steve, but I feel myself like in mental hospital here on AMIT. With me as a patient and others as doctors.

So nothing wrong with Ustas on that side, I can clearly understand him. Let's see if I can stand this medieval attacks and total intolerance.

Totally with you on this Foma and think Mark was wrong in his decision.  Only his fans suffered.  Did that never occur to him or did he really cancel the shows for another reason, using Putin/AI as an excuse...

Back to the interview and I don't really like these ones where he's been interviewed because they tend to be non-critical.  Therefore the actual review is pointless.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 46 queries.