Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark and David - reconciliation likely in the not-too-distant future?  (Read 2932 times)

pete_w

I think it's terrible that two so intelligent, friendly and easy-going guys still can't be on brotherly terms after all these years. Recent interviews with both brothers show that they are getting "softer" with age.

What do you think is the likelihood of them reconciling? I'm not talking about making a record together as I think that would rip open too many (bad) memories, but just in general? It would be so nice to hear both of them mention each other with affection, "Yeah, I just had a chat with my brother ...", that kind of thing.

Here's to wishing.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mark and David - reconciliation likely in the not-too-distant future?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
This had been talked about in many other threads...

It's seems pretty unlikely, but... David Gilmour and Roger Waters are friends again...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

foma

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »
I believe Mark and David are true brothers. Only by documents... Seems like they have nothing together, two complete self-determined men.
Gilmour and Waters at least wrote together on pretty long basis, so they actually have what to restore to. What with MK&DK?
Imagine David being substitute to Richard on concerts. Or Mark backing David on his solo tours. It's all meaningless.
So if they don't have what to play together, so why bother? Only talking about weather I imagine between them.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »
They were ok after the immediate split but something pretty bad seems to have gone down subsequently.  Without knowing what it's difficult to speculate on the chances of forgiveness on either side.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

foma

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
They were ok after the immediate split but something pretty bad seems to have gone down subsequently.  Without knowing what it's difficult to speculate on the chances of forgiveness on either side.

I remember in 1985 interview or something Mark said they can't contact much just because they living in a different countries (US and UK I assume).

By the way, David recently uploaded 1978 photo of DS on his page, on which he and Mark hugs and laughs. And the caption says: Me with John Illsley and David Withers. Enough said.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
Yes, but don't forget to mention that there were also positive words for Mark on his site, e.g.

I feel an unexamined, unbidden urge to express gratitude to the male role models in my life: To the Byrds at the Newcastle City Hall, probably around 1970/1971, for introducing me to live hi-fi. I wanted to emulate that band, on that stage, more than anything. I loved not only the music
but the sense of shared camaraderie and that the whole was more important and greater than the sum of the parts. To Jimi Hendrix in 1966 for his sense of style as much as his musical virtuosity. To Dylan from 63 onwards for making it possible to write songs about anything. To my big brother Mark who I hero worshipped as a boy and who taught me both the power of individualism, and a kind of old-school alpha male masculinity that wasn't intuitive at all for me. His enthusiasm for other artists was often contagious: When he described how amazing "Snow in San Anselmo" by Van Morrison was, when we went to a record store and we listened to it together in a listening booth. I seem to recall I bought it on the spot and have loved it ever since, to give just one of a thousand possible anecdotes. [...]

Brevity is a virtue so I won't dwell on the many missed names here but I should quickly add a shout to my uncle Bill whose patient implacability was a gift I still struggle to master and to my uncle Kingsley whose kindness ran deep and whose enthusiasm for actually playing a musical instrument was, I'm sure, a key factor for both my brother and I becoming musicians.

So many blessings in my life. Men don't seem to get the credit they deserve for what they pass on because often they quietly nurture instinctively and in ways that aren't always obvious that usually go unremarked upon and even unappreciated but amazingly, on it goes anyway. So here's to all our male heroes, both public and private. Women of course would be a whole other book.

pete_w

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:35:55 PM »
It probably was royalty issues back in the day. And David being a somewhat struggling artist, I'm sure some extra cash wouldn't have hurt.

But now that both of them are heading into the final stages of their lives, I'd thought it would be important to them to get things cleared out. Not on an artistic level, although that would be very moving as well.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »
I think it's terrible that two so intelligent, friendly and easy-going guys still can't be on brotherly terms after all these years. Recent interviews with both brothers show that they are getting "softer" with age.

What do you think is the likelihood of them reconciling? I'm not talking about making a record together as I think that would rip open too many (bad) memories, but just in general? It would be so nice to hear both of them mention each other with affection, "Yeah, I just had a chat with my brother ...", that kind of thing.

Here's to wishing.
I totally agree with you Mr Redux, I really think it's a pity that they can't start to think that they're both aging and that they could put behind what happened years ago!!! And yes we can wish them that they'll  one beautiful day have again a friendly relationship!! :thumbsup
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 44 queries.