Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Building my version of a MK Strat  (Read 13570 times)

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
Building my version of a MK Strat
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:05:11 AM »
Not sure what the rules are here and certainly not wanting to cause any offence or complaints but I had been looking for a long time to buy a MK Strat with no success (and now there are two for sale on EBay Grrrr!  :) ) so I decided while waiting I'd have a go at building my own version...anyone interested? If not, then no worries. Thanks :)

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
Re: Building my version of a MK Strat
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:37:47 AM »
So, first the body. MK Strat is meant to be a '57 Ash body but is actually more like a '62 Ash body. Now Ash has such a lovely grain to it IMHO I find it a shame to paint over it so I chose an Alder light weight body.
When it arrived it needed sanding with 400 paper and the rear Tremolo cavity and the bridge pickup cut away needed slightly enlarging. I then sealed the wood using Sanding Sealer and rubbed it down with 1200 paper - it felt very smooth! I then pre-drilled the holes I'd need and let it rest for a week.

image search

img host

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:45:18 AM »
Next came the painting of the body. Hot Rod Red is very hard to get hold of and I didn't want to use Fiesta red so fortunately for me I work at a car manufacturers so looking at what colours were available I chose St. James red which is a cross between Hot Rod red and Dakota red. Anyhow, I was very pleased with the result and comparing it with my original MK Strat it's very very slightly darker but only just.

free image uploader

images upload

picture sharing

The photos aren't great but you'll see later that the result is perfect. There is no fading it's just the light and camera used, apologies!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:48:36 AM by trundler »

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:56:17 AM »
After a couple of weeks to allow everything to harden and settle down I had managed to source most of the hardware. I was very lucky with the bridge as I found a cheap unused Eric Johnson bridge with the unpainted steel block, I know there's a lot of myth about tone etc. but having owned an EJ Strat in the past I always rated the bridge, paint or no paint! If you look carefully you can just make out the EJ stamped on the block  ;)

photos upload

free image host

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:33:39 AM »
Before I could fit the bridge I needed to know if the screw holes were correctly drilled and for that I would need a neck. I spent a long time deciding whether to build one from scratch or look for a good one - in the end I found a '62 Mex RI that was in perfect condition which had also just had medium jumbo frets added! The soft C shape neck is gorgeous and felt just right. Obviously no Mark Knopfler signature on the headstock though!

how to do a screen shot

image ru

upload photo

image hosting no account

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:17 AM »
Fortunately for me the neck lined up beautifully using a set of strings and a long steel ruler. So, on went the bridge...

free photo upload

screen capture windows

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 01:43:31 AM »
All well and good so far  :) next came the Earth or Ground tag which sits in the "wormhole" of the bridge pickup cavity. This caused me a real headache trying to find one! Eventually I found one for sale in Germany but the postage was stupidly high for it Grrrr! Anyhow, in it went...

image url upload

free picture upload

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:33 AM »
In order to pre-drill the holes for the Tremolo Claw screws you need a very long 1/8" drill bit in order to minimize the angel (unless anyone has any better ideas?). Very gently I drilled the holes and the fitted the Tremolo Claw. I saw a clever alternative to soldering the Ground wire to the claw which instead uses a crimp or terminal ring which goes on one of the screws, very neat!

image hosting services

image hosting no sign up

pete_w

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »
Nice work, man.

I don't like the sound of the MK strat that much. Don't know if it's the pickups. They sound a bit "raspy" to me (Red Bud Tree is a good example). What are you using?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »
Very interesting, keep posting!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »
Eww, vintage tuners  :-X get these replaced before you spend hours and hours replacing strings  ;D
Very interesting, keep posting!

OfflineBloodGator

• Guitar George
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »
I built my first guitar about 6 months ago, my cousin makes acoustics and inspired me to give it a go.

Good luck man, it's the most rewarding thing i've ever done and hope to make it my profession

I tried to upload a pic but the size is too big

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
Next came the decision as to how many springs to fit - but I played it safe and went for 3 - I might change the configuration to a triangle in due course but wanted to keep everything simple at this stage...

free picture upload

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
Great story, keep those pics coming! Is the axe finished already, do you have some soundfiles yet?
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinetrundler

• Local Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 07:29:52 PM »
Right now for the tricky bit - the wiring and electrics! I managed to buy a correct 11 hole Mint pickguard (with the screw hole between the neck and middle pickups) okay and also a matching pickguard aluminium shield for it. The 5 way CRL switch and correct CTS pots were sourced without any difficulty as was the vintage cloth wire and pickguard screws. The pickup covers, switch tip and knobs were Fender aged white parts however I needed to find the correct counter sunk raised chrome mounting screws for the pickups and switch - again these were more tricky to find but eventually I found a source in the UK. The capacitor needed to be a 0.1uF although maybe I might change to a 0.45uF at some point just to see what the difference sounds like. I found a oil and paper Russian cap and decided to give it a go! So, that just left the pickups. As mentioned earlier the MK Texas pups can sound overly bright and on the harsh side so I contacted my friend at Shed Pickups. Spence makes some of THE best pickups I've ever played and he very kindly made me a set of perfection!! Huge thanks  :)
Anyhow, using leaded solder (I'm not the best at this) I put the pickguard together and waited a couple of weeks for the pups to arrive. The end result....

image ru

image sharing

upload imagem

image upload free

images

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 40 queries.