Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Honky Tonk Demos officially released?  (Read 25574 times)

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
Re: The Honky Tonk Demos officially released?
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2015, 08:36:50 AM »
How I hate that I had to make a digital copy from the vinyl again (personal safety copy of course). If it was not illegal to post a link here, I'd think that sharing it with others who bought the single (or would have bought it if it was available everywhere) can't be wrong really, but well...

I have some distortion on the tracks, especially at the end of the songs where the radius on the single becomes smaller. I am not sure if it is because the needle is not new anymore, or if it unavoidable.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »
I have some distortion on the tracks, especially at the end of the songs where the radius on the single becomes smaller. I am not sure if it is because the needle is not new anymore, or if it unavoidable.

Is it sounding good? Waiting for my single (well and a turntable...)

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »

Is it sounding good? Waiting for my single (well and a turntable...)

The Sultans version from that rare Honky Tonk Demos CD sounds much better to me, the other three tracks sound at least lightyears better than what we had before.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
Anyone can do good quality mp3 versions for our ipods or mp3 players?

... but I will not do the upload  :think

So, as there are no cd or digital options for it, the fans that doesn't have a lp player won't be able to listen
 it even you bought it  :smack

Just a thought. Maybe those people who don't have record players shouldn't have bought the vinyl so that those people who do have record players could have bought the release and sent you the songs. 

Don't fear , I am sure this will turn up on digital soon enough. The record company have made the investment in brining this to market, may be July time but I feel sure it will materialise. Sly and the Family Stone vinyl only concert release from Epic UMG turns up as a 4cd box set in July. Maybe we will get the full set.   Or more. Wishful thinking

Let's just hope for a digital release
i am one of those people visitor. reason is simply. i ignored the fact that it said vinyl, automatically assuming it would be digital. sorry to have spoiled the fun for you. i will now buy a record player by the way.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek as they say here in the UK....I actually quite like having to hunt for s record now in an age when everything is pretty much easy to get immediately and on demand.

Take a look at the Project Debut turntable or if you can find it, a cheap second hand Technics deck. 

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
I bought it yesterday and will receive it somewhere in the begin of May.
As I don't have a player for it, it's for the collection.
It was discussed before, but is someone willing to share it?

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »
Here we are on a fan forum openly discussing piracy ( or possibly privateering  ;D! )  :think   

I managed to get hold of the demos in an independent record shop in the town where I work ( as the town where I live doesn't have one! ) .
The plastic sleeve the shop had them in indicated a total run of 1000 copies.
Because I'm old and sad, I still have 2 hi-fi separate stack systems in the house & fortunately both still have their turntables, so I have had no problem playing the 45rpm singles.

A couple of observations - and this of course is just my own opinion:
For the average vinyl single or LP, unless you are a serious audiophile most middle of the range turntables will do the job, and let's be honest, how many of us are going to be giving up our very convinient & high quality CD players and rebuilding a collection of vinyl.  I found playing the singles quite inconvenient  as they needed a wipe with a record cleaning brush before playing and then I had to very careful not to knock the desk where the turntable is mounted  (I'd forgotten how easy it was to make a record "jump" ! )

The demos themselves:
Although I was prepared for a rougher version of the songs, I was quite surprised at how "un-developed" the electric guitar fills & solos were in Sultans & Waterline. Mark obviously put a lot of time into polishing these 2 tunes up before recording them for the album.   On the other hand, Wild West End & Water of love which both feature the National were much more like the album versions (although still rougher and with a few different lyrics) .
To be honest, they won't be getting a lot of play on my turntable, but I'm glad to have that bit of "history" in my collection.

When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »

To be honest, they won't be getting a lot of play on my turntable, but I'm glad to have that bit of "history" in my collection.

Nice post. I think that's the point of buying it even if you don't have a player...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »
Anyone can do good quality mp3 versions for our ipods or mp3 players?

... but I will not do the upload  :think

So, as there are no cd or digital options for it, the fans that doesn't have a lp player won't be able to listen
 it even you bought it  :smack

Just a thought. Maybe those people who don't have record players shouldn't have bought the vinyl so that those people who do have record players could have bought the release and sent you the songs. 

Don't fear , I am sure this will turn up on digital soon enough. The record company have made the investment in brining this to market, may be July time but I feel sure it will materialise. Sly and the Family Stone vinyl only concert release from Epic UMG turns up as a 4cd box set in July. Maybe we will get the full set.   Or more. Wishful thinking

Let's just hope for a digital release
i am one of those people visitor. reason is simply. i ignored the fact that it said vinyl, automatically assuming it would be digital. sorry to have spoiled the fun for you. i will now buy a record player by the way.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek as they say here in the UK....I actually quite like having to hunt for s record now in an age when everything is pretty much easy to get immediately and on demand.

Take a look at the Project Debut turntable or if you can find it, a cheap second hand Technics deck. 
mkay, so i did not get it. we're quit i'd say, lol
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineMaroretto

• Local Hero
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2015, 12:19:28 AM »
I found this picture in facebook, apparently it's a scan of the real tape published by Charlie Gillett in his site many years ago http://www.charliegillett.com

I was searching looking for the post or wherever it was originally published but I didn´t find it, anyway, here it is:

This photo is taken from CG myspace
https://myspace.com/djjackdaw/photos

9 Years ago CG spoke about Sacred loving on his site. Very interesting

http://www.charliegillett.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2839

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2015, 08:15:38 AM »
I found this picture in facebook, apparently it's a scan of the real tape published by Charlie Gillett in his site many years ago http://www.charliegillett.com

I was searching looking for the post or wherever it was originally published but I didn´t find it, anyway, here it is:

This photo is taken from CG myspace
https://myspace.com/djjackdaw/photos

9 Years ago CG spoke about Sacred loving on his site. Very interesting

http://www.charliegillett.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2839

Thank you very very very much!

I wonder what that date means, the day DS recorded it or the day CG broadcasted it.

Today I had a nice dream. Our beloved TWM found more tapes in boxes labelled "Honky Tonk" and in one of them it was a recording of the original broadcast by Charlie Gillett of the five songs... And then I woke up :(
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2015, 03:32:35 AM »
".........................."

Today I had a nice dream. Our beloved TWM found more tapes in boxes labelled "Honky Tonk" and in one of them it was a recording of the original broadcast by Charlie Gillett of the five songs... And then I woke up :(
[/quote]

a nice dream is mostly followed by a bad morning mood ;D
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »
walking in the wild west end? lol...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinebrickbat

• Local Hero
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.