Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK's accent  (Read 9794 times)

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
MK's accent
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:20:28 AM »
I have been wondering which accent Mark speaks normally. Is it RP(received pronunciation) or more Scottish accent?

Best regards,

Thomas
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: MK's accent
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »
I would say he is a bit of a cross/breed!!
He really used to speak 'broad' Geordie with a bit of Scottish, but now he speaks very 'well-to-do' Geordie/Scottish!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
I would say he is a bit of a cross/breed!!
He really used to speak 'broad' Geordie with a bit of Scottish, but now he speaks very 'well-to-do' Geordie/Scottish!!

I have always thought that MK picked up accents as he went along - when in the company of Americans, for instance, his accent adopts a bit of a drawl and when he was with Steve and Brendan, his accent became more North country.

I do agree with you, Knopflerfan, that he does mainly have a more 'well-to-do' Geordie accent these days, with just a pinch of Scottish here and there, mainly when he rolls his 'Rs' occasionally, as in 'Reiver', 'thiever', etc!   Mr Superval has just added that it's 'posh Geordie'!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:18:49 PM »
Well, can I just add a little and say there are many different types of Scottish accent to this debate.  Some are quite "unique," especially those from the very north and as spoken by the older generation. 

Glasgow, even as a city has various accents.  Bearsden, where he grew up as a child, is one of the most well-to-do areas in the city so take from that what you will.  To me though he does sound quite the Englishman (no particular accent) with a tiny hint of Geordie (not English  ;)) coming through very occasionally.  He's no Ant and Dec though!

I'm quite sure his stint in Leeds and the long time living in the South has moulded this new-fashoined accent for him!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »
 I have nothing to add of course but as Val said about him absorbing American English:  I always think exactly that when watching the Shangri-La EPK and his Interview outside the studio sounds different to me compared with other stuff..

LE

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 10:05:06 PM »
Posh Geordie

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »
thanks for the informative answers :)
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 09:01:58 AM »
I wonder when he comes in Greece if he adopts the broken english Greeks speak!  ;D
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »
Really no Scottish left in his accent at all. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »
Really no Scottish left in his accent at all. :)

I agree with you but it's interesting that the English members think he has a hint of Scots still.  Makes me wonder if it's just us who don't notice it by living here where we hear all kinds of Scots accents.   :think

They probably think we speak with a broad Scots accent!  ;)

This guy comes from the Shetland Islands, same place as Aly Bain: 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:46:30 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
dmg - It's only the rolling of the Rs that I notice, but it's not consistent, so I think it's a bit hit and miss with him!    I think, basically, he has a fairly refined Geordie accent!    ;)    I don't detect any Glaswegian accent (although I know there are many) in MK at all btw!   ;)  Thanks for the video!   :lol
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:26:00 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegeordie_60

• Local Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »
dmg - It's only the rolling of the Rs that I notice, but it's not consistent, so I think it's a bit hit and miss with him!    I think, basically, he has a fairly refined Geordie accent!    ;)    I don't detect any Glaswegian accent (although I know there are many) in MK at all btw!   ;)  Thanks for the video!   :lol

I agree he's a posh Geordie, a bit like Sting! There is no trace of Scots whatsoever! I agree with Sting, Geordies are neither Scots nor English we 're Geordies

OfflineBoldonExpat

• Guitar George
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 06:12:47 AM »
I'm originally from the North East and have always retained the underlying vowel based lilt to what people call a Geordie' accent. Unless you really want to work hard to lose it - and why would you really? - it stays. It always sounds to me that MK has retained his underlying Newcastle accent and adjusts according to audience.

Can't hear any Scottish in there though tbh.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »
Think yourself back years and years, to the very first time you heard MK speak - in an interview on TV or radio perhaps: did you identify a Scots accent? I suspect not. By that time in his life, MK was in his late twenties and had lived in several different places in the United Kingdom.

I know he was born in Glasgow but (and you guys will doubtless tell me if I'm wrong) I don't think either of his parents were Scottish. If I'm right, he would have heard little spoken Scots around the house, just friends and neighbours. And how long was he at school in Glasgow? One year or two years - something like that. I'm sure he would have had a Scots accent but probably not as deeply "ingrained" as fellow pupils, because it was not being reinforced at home.  Maybe this was the time when his accent became more fluid - more Scottish at school and in the street but less Scottish at home. Just speculation, of course, but it happens.

I haven't listened to all the radio and TV broadcasts that you lot have, just a few words from the stage and the like, but I cannot recall him using any words common in Scotland but less common elsewhere - "blether", for example.

Most likely, when he moved to Newcastle and started school there, his accent did stand out. Whether it was a strong accent or not, it would have identified him as being from Scotland. [At that time, schoolkids gave one another nicknames (probably still do today) and I can recall Scottish children at English schools being given nicknames like "Jock" or, in one case, "Haggis"].   Had his parents been Scottish, I suspect more of his Scottish accent would have been retained. As it was, he began to absorb the local Newcastle accent.

And, in my view, it is that accent that he has retained. It may have softened over the years but it is still there. It is not a purely Geordie accent to my ears but it underlies aspects of his pronunciation and, occasionally, the patterns of his speech.

OfflineBoldonExpat

• Guitar George
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 12:07:18 AM »
Actually I had forgotten that my son was brought up in Edinburgh with me for the first 6-7 years of his life and when we relocated he had a little Scottish accent from attending school most notably his pronunciation of things like 'Turrrrrkeeeey'!

God knows how I forgot this!

Anyway he lost any trace of it within a year of starting school in England - his teachers even thought his accent was from the North East like mine by his second year at school back down here.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.