Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ruth Knopfler. (Mark's sister)  (Read 31055 times)

OfflineDIFFICULTTOBELIEVE

• Local Hero
Re: Ruth Knopfler. (Mark's sister)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
I am aware that it's a joke, but it's not a v funny one! Each to his own sense of humour Jackal.

Just because something may be in the public domain does not, imo, mean that a discussion thread about it is ok. I think someone's personal life should remain personal to them and largely off limits to others and I remain uncomfortable with these threads.Discussions about guitars, tours, songs etc - all perfect and v enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Rollergirl

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
I agree with DTB (sounds like a disease  ;D), I too am uncomfortable with subjects like this on AMIT, a forum with high standards  ;D
but we can't stop people, so I choose not to read them (unless I am really bored, like now   ;))

Mind you the  discussion about "should we thank Ruth" has its place on this forum IMO as it's about the music. It's a fine line
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:43:48 PM by Rollergirl »

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »
There isn't any law that says: 'You may not discuss Mark Knopflers his personal life'. So I really don't get the point why we should stop this discussion. It's very wrong to implement that kind of censorship imho.

Lars
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Rollergirl

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
nobody said we should stop it, both DTB and  myself said we were uncomfortable with it, that's all.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
nobody said we should stop it, both DTB and  myself said we were uncomfortable with it, that's all.

Bravo Rollergirl! I do believe that such topics are really too close to the line, and sometimes accidentally we could cross it, and that causes great discomfort, and second thoughts about even starting them. The discretion and respect for the private life should never come from obligation or restrictions from the law, but purely out of our good will. Don't do others...thing.
That said, I recognize that Jackal made a joke of poor taste, admitting it at the same time as such,  and since he has no previous convictions, should be set free with nothing more than a pat in the wrists.  In case he relapse, I suggest lessons from the masters Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, our Lord JC (John Cleese and maybe a bit of Rowan Atkinson. That would teach him how to make a good joke. And by the way the secret with jokes is timing.

And Rollergirl, after listening to Kill to get Crimson for at least 10 times (no joke) I declare that it is a fine album, that I like a lot, with only a couple of weak moments. Still not my favourite album, but it was only a matter of repeated listenings. Or is it what they call brainwash. We can never know ;)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
"The discretion and respect for the private life should never come from obligation or restrictions from the law, but purely out of our good will."

You literally took the words right out of my mouth VGONIS2002.  Well said.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Jackal

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
*sigh*

This is getting ridiculous.

Why shouldn't it be acceptable to discuss a celebrity's private life? As long as it is kept at civilized level, it is not malignant, it is not done to spread false rumors, then what's the deal?

VGONIS2002, what's with the patronizing lesson about how to make a joke? So it wasn't very funny, and the word play was silly, but what was "bad taste" and "wrong timing" about it? To my knowledge, nobody passed away! As a matter of fact, all the comedians you mentioned are all masters of black comedy. It wouldn't surprise if they'd utter a macabre joke in someone's funeral.

Bottom line is, as long as the editors don't deem a thread inappropriate, but certain people get uncomfortable, then don't read it!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
*sigh*

This is getting ridiculous.

Why shouldn't it be acceptable to discuss a celebrity's private life? As long as it is kept at civilized level, it is not malignant, it is not done to spread false rumors, then what's the deal?

VGONIS2002, what's with the patronizing lesson about how to make a joke? So it wasn't very funny, and the word play was silly, but what was "bad taste" and "wrong timing" about it? To my knowledge, nobody passed away! As a matter of fact, all the comedians you mentioned are all masters of black comedy. It wouldn't surprise if they'd utter a macabre joke in someone's funeral.

Bottom line is, as long as the editors don't deem a thread inappropriate, but certain people get uncomfortable, then don't read it!

Jackal, I was actually saying that it is OK, but you missed the point. Maybe because I was mixing it up with a joke of poor taste at a bad time. And of course I never try to patronize you because I don't like it when somebody else does it to me. I do believe that good intentions is the thing we all have and... oh it doesn't worth it , man.
I am sorry it won't happen again. (FYI, your argument about "being uncomfortable, so don't read" is illogical, but if you don't get it I can't explain)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
For what it's worth, I don't feel comfortable with this either, purely because Ruth has never, as far as I'm aware, made any public comment or such like about MK. Kitty and even his daughter have featured in the press, but not Ruth.

So I won't be participating, but there's no reason to stop it, unless it's deemed offensive/defamatory etc. :)

Freedom of speech is the whole point of AMIT. That and allowing me to throw my weight around and act like a big man.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Jackal

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »
Jackal, I was actually saying that it is OK, but you missed the point. Maybe because I was mixing it up with a joke of poor taste at a bad time. And of course I never try to patronize you because I don't like it when somebody else does it to me. I do believe that good intentions is the thing we all have and... oh it doesn't worth it , man.
I am sorry it won't happen again. (FYI, your argument about "being uncomfortable, so don't read" is illogical, but if you don't get it I can't explain)

Illogical because you can't be uncomfortable unless you read it, right? I agree if you have a thread with a misleading title or the discussion goes in a different direction (which happens quite often - and this the editors have to deal with), but how can anyone not think that a thread titled "Ruth Knopfler. (Mark's sister)" is going to be personal???

EDIT:

What's illogical is this, "if you don't get it, I can't explain".
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:41:59 PM by Jackal »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »

(For what it's worth, I don't really understand while it's illogical either, but I'm not very bright.)

Jackal

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »
For what it's worth, I don't feel comfortable with this either, purely because Ruth has never, as far as I'm aware, made any public comment or such like about MK. Kitty and even his daughter have featured in the press, but not Ruth.

So I won't be participating, but there's no reason to stop it, unless it's deemed offensive/defamatory etc. :)

Freedom of speech is the whole point of AMIT. That and allowing me to throw my weight around and act like a big man.

Feel free to feel uncomfortable, big man! :)

Seriously, though, there's nothing in this thread so far that can be deemed inappropriate or prying. BBB just stated some simple basic facts initially, there was an old public photo shown, and a couple of comments made in that regard, plus my silly joke (which was even a digression). How anyone can feel uncomfortable about that, I don't know.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

(For what it's worth, I don't really understand while it's illogical either, but I'm not very bright.)
The needs of the many..outweigh....oh..screw it   ;D
I'm sure that Ruth will never see this anyway
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »

Seriously, though, there's nothing in this thread so far that can be deemed inappropriate or prying. BBB just stated some simple basic facts initially, there was an old public photo shown, and a couple of comments made in that regard, plus my silly joke (which was even a digression). How anyone can feel uncomfortable about that, I don't know.

I just think that people that court publicity, and that includes MK - for all his protestations he still pays people to do PR and promoton for him, are fair game. But the family members of someone who ended up famous, who have never themselves tried to get any fame, deserve privacy.

But I'm not going to try and stop the thread. Four years ago I stopped MK when he was walking down a public street with his wife and child and asked him to sign my guitar, so I'm not going to pretend I'm some sort of "holier than thou" guy when it comes to privacy.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »
It is very nice to know details of a more personal nature about your favourite artist. It gives a more humane dimension to a rather distant and only through the art acquaintance.  I imagine that it is human nature, rather than curiosity. It certainly doesn't make the music (or whatever art ) better, but it makes it more personal to the listener. So yes, I would go on to read a thread with a title that has such a personal element. I didn't even know that he has a sister, and it makes no difference if you read my comment, prior to this debate we are having. Anyway, I don't even expect from anyone to agree with me, but when you make a comment publicly, I guess I have the right to my opinion. (which by the way, as I told you was a rather poor joke to tame spirits)
Maybe we should start a thread for that sort of matters, or just to get some steam off.  ;D Or maybe you keep on that ruthless joke. ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:41:12 PM by VGONIS2002 »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 47 queries.