Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits Charity in RAH?  (Read 163643 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: The Straits Charity in RAH?
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »
those of us who have supported him throughout everything   

lol, I know what you mean Val but this phrase suggests some sort of horror story during his solo years when of course the opposite is true. :)

Yes, perhaps I phrased it very badly!    I have enjoyed every moment of MK solo and, selfishly, I don't fancy sharing him with those  fine weather fans !    Besides, I want to be cheering him from the front, not the back (selfishness again)!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »
Anyway if The Real Straits were back you would count me in even if this would  give me seats not closer than the back of an arena.

To add to the journalist badly informed case I don't remember any Dire Straits gig in 2002...despite we were pretty close to but it wasn't.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Anyway if The Real Straits were back you would count me in even if this would  give me seats not closer than the back of an arena.

Yes, of course, I would be there too, but probably not too happy if I could only see a speck in the distance, after having been  spoiled by being very close-up at the stageside!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »

To add to the journalist badly informed case I don't remember any Dire Straits gig in 2002...despite we were pretty close to but it wasn't.

MK himself has referred to those gigs as a Dire Straits reunion, even though it was billed as Mark Knopfler and Friends.

I would of course go and see a reformed Dire Straits, but like Val I would rather go and see MK solo "under the radar".
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »
Pandora's Box was opened... ;D ;D ;D
That's what happens when somebody mentiones the flying sentence "Dire Straits Reunion"!!!

But The Straits concert at RAH has nothing to do with it - it's clear from their website, FB, Twitter page etc..

I'm sure their managment will make the right promotion and nobody won't be misguided - at last you see which tickets you buy for.

To alarm MK about what? That some journalists want to make cheap sensations or are ignorant? Hahahaha...that's funny. He has never paid attention to these things!!

As for me - I will support MK solo...I will support MK with DS or as DS....I will continue to support Alan Phil and Chris ( or John Illsley) who just want to remember the great moments they had together ( not the glory - each of them had it so many times and with different musicians) and to pay a tribute to these wonderful songs loved by so many people, playing them again for charity which is the  only one purpose - This info I got from CW directly!

I have never met Phil Palmer but spoke some times with Alan and many times with Chris and I want to assure  you all - these guys are sincere and respectable and also wonderful musicians which MK and Guy respect and love so much...They are friends and they have never made any try to make the oposite! ::) ::) ::) ::)

I don't know why there was so many negativism on this topic about their concert and so many bad feelings - "I won't go" or "I don't like" would be enough... ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:54:09 PM by Slavi »

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2011, 06:42:10 AM »
Very well stated Slavi.  I totally agreed with what you said. 

OfflineShooter

• Guitar George
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
It's a shame that some people are being as negative as they are on here... The Straits are simply some of the guys who have been part of DS, wanting to play those songs again. Nobody is even attempting to take anything away from Mark - if anything, it is a fitting tribute to all Mark did in the band. They are not calling themselves Dire Straits, in the same way Velvet Revolver didn't call themselves Guns n Roses - and i wish them luck with doing something they clearly enjoy.

From a personal point of view, I have to say that Terence Reis is humbled and excited about playing with members of one of his all-time favourite bands, and wants to do the songs justice. Surely nobody can be bitter about that? He is a fantastic guitar player and vocalist in his own right, and doesn't wantto even try and imitate Mark (who could, anyway?), but will respect the songs and the opportunity he has to play with Alan, Phil and Chris in particular.  I know this, because Terence is my friend and bandmate in Waterhorse. So guys, let's get behind what is quite simply a bunch of fantastic musicians getting together to play the songs of a band, and songwriter, we all enjoy.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
From a personal point of view, I have to say that Terence Reis is humbled and excited about playing with members of one of his all-time favourite bands, and wants to do the songs justice. Surely nobody can be bitter about that? He is a fantastic guitar player and vocalist in his own right, and doesn't wantto even try and imitate Mark (who could, anyway?), but will respect the songs and the opportunity he has to play with Alan, Phil and Chris in particular.  I know this, because Terence is my friend and bandmate in Waterhorse. So guys, let's get behind what is quite simply a bunch of fantastic musicians getting together to play the songs of a band, and songwriter, we all enjoy.

Welcome to our forum Shooter. :)

I can't be bothered reading through the whole thread again but I don't think any of us have been critical of Terence. I don't think there is anyone here who would turn down the opportunity to play with these guys so good luck to him.

The bit people have a problem with is the fact that this is being billed by some people as a Dire Straits reunion, when clearly it isn't. As has been stated, it could just be that some journalists have got the wrong end of the stick.

playing them again for charity which is the  only one purpose - This info I got from CW directly!

Slavi, if this is true then it's great, and amazing. These guys are putting in a lot of effort for just one show -

Rehearsals in February
Flying Terence over twice from South Africa
More rehearsals before the show
Cost of making the website, Twitter etc

As I say, a lot of effort for just one show.

If the charity is the only purpose of all this as you say, then great.

You can call me a cynic, but I won't be surprised if soon after the "one off" charity show we get an announcement along the lines of

Due to the incredible success of their gig at The Royal Albert Hall, and massive demand from fans, The Straits are pleased to announce that they will be playing at a number of music festivals throughout Europe this summer, starting with...

Even their site has a "Dates" (plural) page - why dates? They are only playing one date, aren't they?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »

You can call me a cynic, but I won't be surprised if soon after the "one off" charity show we get an announcement along the lines of

Due to the incredible success of their gig at The Royal Albert Hall, and massive demand from fans, The Straits are pleased to announce that they will be playing at a number of music festivals throughout Europe this summer, starting with...

Even their site has a "Dates" (plural) page - why dates? They are only playing one date, aren't they?

You cynic  ;D

I, and I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »
I'm just sceptical that it could turn out to be "the thin end of the wedge" and I feel there could be a hidden agenda!  We'll see soon enough! :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
I'm just sceptical that it could turn out to be "the thin end of the wedge" and I feel there could be a hidden agenda!  We'll see soon enough! :-\

Slavi has assured us that it is only for this charity gig.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2011, 05:26:15 PM »
I bet my wife's new car there will be more gigs.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
I bet my wife's new car there will be more gigs.

playing them again for charity which is the  only one purpose - This info I got from CW directly!

Chris White has told Slavi there will be only one gig and surely we must trust his word.

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
You can have them for your birthday or your wedding :

And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Love Expresso

« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
Robert Collins FOH sound, and Terry Kilburn as road manager? Did we know that already? I think I missed something during the last 13 pages... Maybe that is why it is so quiet "over there"  (j u s t    k i d d i n ' )  ;)

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 41 queries.