Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits sullying dIRE sTRIATS legacy?  (Read 14660 times)

OfflinePixelPerfect

• Local Hero
Re: The Straits sullying dIRE sTRIATS legacy?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 05:18:13 AM »
A proposal about AMIT TV? I'd never seen that mentioned before. Sounds pretty cool

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »
Very cool ! :) When will AMIT TV be officially launched?

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »
Saturday 14th April 2012

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
I don't mind that some former members of DS play together with others, why not? They are good musicians (especial Chris White) and they don't have to sit at home because Mark doesn't want to regroup DS anymore. It would be nice if they write and play their own music and sell their own albums, there sure will be people who will buy them! BUT........I don't like the fact that they use the name The Straits! It is confusing and misleading! >:(

I was a few weeks ago at the barbershop and the lady which always cut my hair and knows I am a big fan of Mark said "Hey that is wonderful news that Mark is coming soon to our country to perform again!"....I thought what? ....... What is she talking about and why don't I know about this!! Then suddenly I remembered that The Straits would be here for a performance and told her that Mark wasn't involved! I have the feeling there are people attending a concert of The Straits without knowing that Mark won't be there!

Without Mark, The Straits is just a good cover band!

Fieneke
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:31:48 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineRoscoe345

• Guitar George
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »
The vitriol that I've seen on You Tube in reaction to postings of the The Straits set at the RAH in May 2011 and subsequent appearances is somewhat understandable given some of Alan's comments and the what appears to be an undercurrent of resentment that he, Chris and Phil aren't entitled to perform the compositions that generated their reputation and fame without MK's permission.  That said, there is some precedence for bands or their offshoots touring successfully and finding a great depth of fan acceptance of live sets that consist entirely of back catalogue.  Fleetwood Mac comes toured as kind of mini Mac for a number of years without Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham. Fans loved the music but left venues with a sense of longing or wistfulness that the FMac in its complete form would find a way to tour together. 

CSNY was held hostage from touring a number of times because of Neil Young's refusal to tour because he didn't hear the muse.   Does anyone feel Crazy Horse should refrain from playing Neil Young penned songs which they recorded with him because he doesn't tour with them anymore ?  Bruce Palmer and Dewey Martin the drummer and bass player from Buffalo Springfield tried to tour playing back catalogue under the band's name without Young and Stephen Stills.  Young and Stills weren't bothered: if fans wanted to hear Bluebird and Mr. Soul performed by the band without them it was fine by them, they'd moved on to solo work and later CSNY.  If you attended either a solo or CSNY performance of that era there was a deafening absence of Springfield tunes.  Maybe a concession to the crowd by playing Mr. Soul, but nothing else.

Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker suffered financially and musically because Eric Clapton refused to entertain a reunion first when he sullied himself playing with Delaney and Bonnie, and even later when he toured with his studio band and rendered canned pop like performances.   Would have been interesting if the two had toured as Cream with someone else as lead guitar.  Actually, Bruce tried to play some Cream in live performance with Mountain and West, Bruce and Lange.  I heard them play Crossroads and it was great.  Despite a world wide appetite for a reunion it took until Ginger and Jack were in their 70's and of ill health for Eric to realize that the fan base that had supported him for almost 50 years wanted to hear Cream again. 

FMac, Savoy Brown, Pink Floyd, Foghat and other bands missing key members were able to tour under their iconic band monikers because they had legal rights to a name not because their musicianship was necessarily the core of the sound of the back catalogue.   I'm wondering if the The Straits would generate such harsh criticism if they limited their sets to tunes where they had significant composition rights.  Did anyone hold their nose when Squeeze continued performing without Jools Holland ?  How about when they toured without Chris Difford ? 

The irony of Steve Ferrone handling the drum kit is that he'd love to tour regularly with Tom Petty.  Mike Campbell had to cool his heels while Petty toured with the Wilburys.  Difford is producing a new show about him and Squeeze that doesn't include Glenn Tilbrook. Are Squeeze fans throwing rocks at Difford ? Is Jools Holland's nose bent out of shape ?

The Straits aren't like Australian Pink Floyd which make every effort hit every note, movement and look like the Floyd.  Tribute bands attempt in every way to mimic the 'real' act on stage.  Terence Reis doesn't wear a headband and red Reebok workout shoes.  His natural voice is similar to MK's in timbre and its hard to detect mimicry in the way he sings, or for that matter plays the DS standards.  Three members of the band (although Phil Palmer wants to stay home rather than tour) were part of DS and recorded and performed the tunes that we so love.  Their rendition of the DS catalogue is outstanding and after the RAH performance appears to be getting better and tighter.  It's not a question of closing your eyes and believing that its 1985 and MK is effortlessly running the fingerboard of a Schecter Strat.  The essence is the music and playing it right and with integrity.  The Straits seem to employ that spirit, and frankly its a joy to hear such great music played with new energy by really capable musicians who are passionate about the DS legacy.   

MK found far more artistic passion in his solo work, and always has starting with his movie compositions (Local Hero) in 1983.  The man is brilliant, a blessing to those who love his music and his artistry.  That said, he doesn't want to tour performing the DS classics, doesn't want to play with his old bandmates.  Frankly, those of us who have seen MK since the Sailing to Philadelphia tour, and this may be blasphemy to this lot, have seen a mellowness in MK and his playing (like all of us he's aged) that really isn't a fit for the way we remember the DS sound; The Straits are preserving the sound and keeping it bright.  Whatever animosity MK might feel in the vein that his former "sidemen" are capitalizing on his work, or "his" band while understandable is really a bit dismissive of his three colleagues, their competency and the fond desires of the DS fans to hear the music played passionately.

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »
It seems John Illsley wanted to join The Straits but was turned down. How the fuck does that happen. The worlds been turned on its head.

I actually don't believe that ever happened. I reckon it was more like JI wanted to join the band but found out MK wouldn't, so of course realised it was a meaningless and pointless.

**** Fordie runs off and hides ;)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
It seems John Illsley wanted to join The Straits but was turned down. How the fuck does that happen. The worlds been turned on its head.

I actually don't believe that ever happened. I reckon it was more like JI wanted to join the band but found out MK wouldn't, so of course realised it was a meaningless and pointless.

**** Fordie runs off and hides ;)
never EVER would john be turned down, that is a shame that someone would even consider coming up with a lie like that. why not ask the man himself?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

foma

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »
Yeah, it sounds like "It seems Mark Knopfler wanted to join The Straits but was turned down" ;D

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
I found this video at YT. As I said in my comment, it is my opinion that they are a cover band, but it seems "The Straits" have another opinion!  :o

Also at about 5.07 Alan makes a false comment and please watch his unpleasant grin!

v2vyQklU458

Well if Alan thinks they are as good as Dire Straits, then let them stop playing Mark
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
LOL! They're laughing and suggesting that "Maybe Mark wasn't such a big part of DS after all". I think Alan is being disrespectful here. I don't see what he gets out of saying something like that, but he looks satisfied when he say it, so I suppose he is...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
We already discussed this some time ago and the usual suspects told that "alan is just joking" and the other usual suspects told that "he
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 41 queries.